(TFT) Updates...

Hey everyone,

Starting question, unrelated to everything else: If a 12 DX archer and 11 DX spearman are facing off, how can the spearman dodge? does his dodge from one turn carry over to the next, allowing him to dodge after being shot the first round to dodge the second round, or is he incapable of dodging?

Anyway:

So I've been continuing my work on the semi-steampunk game, and things have gone well.... guns really are fitting in well, to tell the truth. One slight exception is the repeating rifle, but its restrictions mean that it is more or less like a fast shooting crossbow. I'm thinking of lowering damage or accuracy, but to tell the truth the weapon isn't so effective that it trumps all other weapons (it IS a very strong alternative to bows and crossbows, though...), as a lone fellow with a winchester will still usually get killed by the lone, axe-wielding barbarian.

Ultimately it is a good weapon for somebody devoted to guns but someone just picking it up will be too inaccurate for it to be effective.... while someone equally devoted to bows would find a longbow as a better weapon. Even so, I may reduce damage to 2+1, which kinda makes sense, as these weapons weren't much more powerful than a pistol, just more accurate at longer ranges. On the other hand, guns can't be bought everywhere and are expensive, so maybe in the campaign their use will be kept down anyway, as bows and swords are much less expensive for their bang and can be found in any town regardless of ruler.

The real reason I'm sending this is to discuss another part of this setting (well, sorta) that wasn't discussed in the last string of emails: Models

After a quick search, I found a couple of things:
1) the idea of using Heroscape for 3d hex maps, particularly to use with models.
	2) People mostly used 28mm with those maps.
3) People don't make mixed medieval, steam punk, western, and victorian models (as in, individuals containing all elements of all or some of these) Despite 3, I bought heroscape for the hexes. After a quick examination I realized that 28mm models would be too small for TFT's 1 1/3 meter hexes, as the 28mm models that came with heroscape (as well as a few that I own) took up only about 2/3 of the hexes, making them about 3 feet tall.... not really appropriate for Gragnar the Tall. Instead, I found that (surprise surprise) the best 'models' were Playmobils!
This is for two reasons:

1) Variety. Playmobils are sold as knights, cowboys, victorian era people, pirates, etc. These can easily be mixed and matched (take the revolver and give him to the victorian fellow, put a knight's helmet on him, and give him a pirate's sword) which is perfect for what I'm doing. 2) Scale. The Playmobil are about 6 feet tall (depending on how you measure the hex, which could range the height from 5' 8" to 6' 6") which, though a bit tall for a medieval peasant, is just fine for models.

I played some simple games (some using the guns that I've made up), although all were massacres... the revolver got a double damage on the Mage, the heavily armored Purple Dragons were able to take the very mixed speed Rebels with astounding ease (the fast guy got there and died, then the medium guy gets there and dies, then the slow guy gets there and dies... no teamwork), and the axe-and-chainmail mercenary had a ferociously powerful charge on the Purple Dragon with a Crossbow. Tomorrow I shall post some pictures to show what the playmobil warriors look like on their oddly hexagonal battlefields...

Obviously, using these easy to connect 3d hex maps opens up many possibilities.... much larger battles can be portrayed, and hills and other terrain are much easier to make on the spot. Of course, I have to adapt.... no more Megahex range rules, instead 3 hexes= megahex for range purposes. Using models is a necessity with such nice terrain, and it feels kinda interesting that the cartoony children's toy was my best choice for a model. I'm actually getting to like the way these little fellows look.....