Re: (TFT) House Rules?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Skipper"

>> Designing a rule "on the fly" as a GM is 'poor art' IMO.

> Not that I want to get into a big debate, but I have to give my opinion on
> this and I could not disagree more.

Uh oh... sounds like I'm in trouble.

Um... no?

I'm not trying to say that a GM shouldn't be interperting rules according to
the particular situation but rather suggesting that the time to set the
properties of mythril is probably not in the middle of game play.

Ah, I see the point of conflict.  I can see your point, but I guess to me,
setting details (even those that have mechanics) are not the kind of things
that a GM EVER has to make up on the fly.  Why?  Because if they aren't
prepared for X, then X either does not exist, or cannot be found during this
session.  You drop a throwaway remark about a mythical land/beast/object that
the players decide to drop everything and go hunting after even though you
hadn't planned on it... fine, let them set off after it.  During tonight's
adventure they won't find/reach it, just find more clues or wandering
encounters or whatever.
Then, after the session, you sort that stuff out.
What I meant was making up rules on the fly for chase scenes if what is
written in the rulebook doesn't work.  Or swinging from a chandelier or doing
100 other things that no rulebook can account for.  That's the kind of
improvisation I was meaning.

Uggghhh, I went to make dinner and fell into real-life for awhile.
Not ugh for the real-world, ugh for the interruption.

A few hours, a visitor, and some rumentation later I still think that I'm not
being pissie with all this...

I'm thinking that it's just two different styles useing the same medium.
I don't think you are being pissy.  I hope you didn't think I was either.  I
was just disagreeing with a comment you made.  Though with this email I think
its more a difference in the way we define things than an actual difference in
how we handle it.

Do you put any "stock" in the idea of a GM/Player contract?
Literally or figuratively?  Literally, not as such, though I suppose I'd at
least consider something like that if a player drafted one and the group
thought it was a good idea.  Figuratively, certainly.  Why do you ask?
Matthew