Re: (TFT) House Rules?

I like my rules to be self-consistent and realistic, as long they aren't also too complex or annoying for my tastes.

I get that there are players with other tastes, and of course that's fine. If you don't want me to make fun of you though, don't tell me that realism makes thing unfun or is pointless.

And I don't mean to make fun of anti-realism players when I say that to me, playing with undrealistic or inconsistent or not-having-much-to-do-with-reality rules, is like not playing a game about what it's supposed to represent. Even as a small child, it was not long before I realized playing Chess was not really about knights and bishops and castles that moved around - it was about this abstract game called Chess which wasn't a lot like reality, which was cool but was not really about medieval combat. Similarly, I am not making fun of anti-realism players when I say that if an RPG has rules that don't match my understanding of reality very well, that I would be hard-pressed to make myself believe it is about what it says it is about. If your semi-nude elf woman can take 13 hits from a huge orc with a battleaxe, and it has no effect on her except to lower her hit points by 15%, which will heal in 10 minutes, then I am pretty sure you are playing something like EQ and it has nothing to do with humanoids and edged weapons, unless elves are supposed to have flesh like regenerating granite. And, I'm not gonna want to play that. If you want your characters to be nearly unkillable and regenerate rel fast, make the game be about something that really would be nearly unkillable and regenerating rel fast, like super-high-tech battle armor with energy shields or something, or else, I'm not really interested because my brain starts to hurt when I ask it to imagine it is immersed in a world about X where everything actually behaves like W. Because I'm interested in figuring out what would make sense to do in situation X when I think I am in situation X.