Re: (TFT) world on a "standard" (?) table map...

Divide the height above the ground by 0.5736 and take the square root of the result to get the horizon distance in miles.

Divide the height above the ground by 6.752 and take the square root of the result to get the horizon distance in kilometers.

At 0 degrees latitude 1 degree of latitude is 110.574 km (68.7 miles) and 1 degree of longitude is 111.32 km (69.171 miles) At 15 degrees latitude 1 degree of latitude is 110.649 km and 1 degree of longitude is 107.551 km (66.829 miles) At 30 degrees latitude 1 degree of latitude is 110.852 km and 1 degree of longitude is 96.486 km (59.95 miles) At 45 degrees latitude 1 degree of latitude is 111.132 km (69.171 miles, equal to 1 degree longitude at the equator) and 1 degree of longitude is 78.847 km (48.99 miles) At 60 degrees latitude 1 degree of latitude is 111.412 km and 1 degree of longitude is 55.8 km (34.67 miles about half of a degree at the equator) At 75 degrees latitude 1 degree of latitude is 111.618 km and 1 degree of longitude is 28.902 km (17.958 miles) At 90 degrees latitude 1 degree of latitude is 111.694 km and 1 degree of longitude is 0.0 km

For descriptive purposes 15 degrees of latitude is about 1000 miles and a 15 degree square at the equator is roughly a million square miles. ~200,000,000 square miles total (a bit bigger than the surface area of the Earth) works out to roughly 200 hexes by this measure. 12 hex-columns with 24 hexes each count up to 288 hexes but the larger pole hexes takes away hexs above 75 degrees latitude so I'm swinging inside the ballpark with all this by that check as well.

So to further the GOMANDI spirit of all of this I started laying out SD-hex F3 today which is the hex I was born and grew up in on this scale. To do this I use a Scale-hex layout which is a Square-hex magnified 4 times its original size. Instead of 4 squares representing a little under 1000 miles in distance this layout has 16 squares of about 60 miles per side representing the same distance.
I have the great state of Alabama represented in 16 squares.
Let's check this.
I know 60 * 60 from fps to mph conversions.
3600 square miles per square times 16 squares tells me that Al has 57,600 square miles in area ignoring coast and etc.
And Wikipedia says.
52,419 sq miles
That's 5181 square miles off or a bit less than a square and a half but that's hella good IMO for just counting out squares real quick-like.
I call that "ballpark".
I use this scale to assign resource areas.
I use the already vague 'Farm,Mineral, and Forest Products' World Book encyclopedia maps to assign resources to squares. This is also a good scale for campaigns with transport traveling at rates like Car Wars for obvious reasons. Each roughly 60 mile per side square at the SD-hex scale can also be represented by a Square-hex with a diameter of 15 STR (Section, Township, Range)-hexes StS with each STR-hex square representing 1 square mile. A square mile can conceptually be thought of as 16 football fields (either/or actually).

I OWN this solar system.
Geographically speaking anyway.
This is helpful if ya wanna connect a bunch of diffrent generas via something like time/multi-dimensional connections.

Mnoren are a BITCH!

"I" am 'god' not them.
Just because they can bounce around that way dosen't mean the Dark Lord isn't futzing with issues along those convluted lines.
Time-travel is a parlor trick.
Wanna drift these SD-hexes over multi-eons?
I've got a rough idea of where those squares have been and where they are going.
Wanna war with Mars?
I wonder if all the Earths wizards, supported by all the Earths aprentices and all the Earths ST-bats could launch a Magic Fist capable of a impact like meteor crator?
It's a long calc... let's assume nearest approach for the orbits.
Laugh if you want but Heinlein thought his "Old Ones" could do it so I defer to the master and consider this a "Traveler worthy" question.
Does anybody care?
I do and my programed adventures shall reflect as much.
Writeing stuff for people who will always know more than you is rough.