and then link to campaign map, etc.

>From the site:
    * 4Q ...................GZD only, precision level 6B0 C 8B0 (in most cases)
    * 4QFJ .................GZD and 100 km SQ_ID, precision level 100 km
    * 4QFJ16 ...............precision level 10 km
    * 4QFJ1267 .............precision level 1 km
    * 4QFJ123678 ...........precision level 100 m
    * 4QFJ12346789 .........precision level 10 m
    * 4QFJ1234567890 .......precision level 1 m

The "letter" level seems to correspond to your "top scale"
and of course the ten digit scale is individual "hexes" (squares really), so maybe that's too far down.

The eight digit scale gives you a 10x20 map using only two numbers (e.g., 4QFJ12346789 & 4QFJ12356789)

Everything scales fairly well and you can always refer to a basic MGRS map to see how it should all fit together.

To see how MGRS fits with UTM (the 4Q mentioned above, see here: http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/coordsys/grids/utm.html)

You could always make the world 3 times bigger so that the precision level at 10 digits is 3m.
Then you could easily leave it at squares and use 3m (10 ft) "square hexes."
http://home.earthlink.net/~marcgacy/TFT/Hexes_p75inch.pdf

Just trying to help,

Marc