Re: (TFT) Campaign Idea

First off, that's exactly the type of game setting I'd want to play in. For more constructive advice:

I think it would be worth your time to check out HARN by Columbia games. It's a setting that is very similar to what you describe. It's basically pre-Norman Invasion England, with post-Norman technology, and a fantasy overlay. So politically it's something like five or six seperate human kingdoms, plus a dwarven kingdom, an elven kingdom, and several barbarian nations. Don't let the realism grind you down -- I agree with you that it's most fun to play aristocrat/nobility/warlords in that type of setting (all the Fellowship were nobility) but most people seem to like to play escaped peasants and what have you in Harn. Lythia.com has a harn forum. Basically, I use TFT as a miniatures game more than a role playing game, and I set most of my scenarios either in Harn or in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy.

You might also want to look at Pendragon, originally by Chaosium now by ?. I haven't read it myself, but I understand that it measures campaigns by decades, and that there are rules for managing your kingdom and even passing on your titles to your heirs. According to the reviews, it's a very innovative system, and might be adaptable to TFT/Chain Reaction.

Finally, if you haven't read George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones, you might want to pick that up, too. It lacks some of the fantasy elements you describe (dwarves and elves) but it definitely illustrates the dangerous political machinations of high nobility.