Re: (TFT) Long Term Play

I don't think anyone has ever had the problem of a campaign where people retire before they even start... the issue is WHEN do you retire?

A lot of players retire at about the time you mention, but people who do an analysis of jobs often decide to retire a bit earlier... or go on adventures less frequently, so as to have much better equipment when they do.

Its all complicated by the fact that all the players WANT to play and don't really care what happens after retirement... which means often this whole 'problem' isn't one. Its considered more of a problem for people trying to use the numbers to estimate stat levels of NPCs and the occasional powergamer.
On Sep 8, 2011, at 1:06 PM, rich wrote:

Hi. Maybe I'm just lucky but my group has not had a problem with this. All our players want to spend game night time adventuring not rolling on the jobs table. New characters usually work for about 4 weeks before starting adventuring. Between adventures, healthy members work while the injured ones heal up. Also, once characters add 15-20 points, the players usually start thinking about retiring them and starting new ones. We have been playing for years and haven't needed to modify any rules to do this. Your mileage may vary.

Rich

--- On Thu, 9/8/11, K Peterson <krpeterson1@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: K Peterson <krpeterson1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) Long Term Play
To: "tft@brainiac.com" <tft@brainiac.com>
Date: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 9:48 AM
Thats if you keep going. The
problem with the current job rules and aging
rules is that it makes sense to retire after >your first
or second adventure
and just reap in the benefits of normal jobs.... perhaps a
subtle social
commentary?

I normally avoid 'monkeying' with a rules system until I've
had a
chance to play it and get a feel for it. But, if there's
near-equal incentive
to get a job to advance as there is to adventure... well,
that'll provoke me
to make a house rule change. I think there needs to be
motivation to get out
and explore a fantasy world; not spend in-game weeks
playing Career and
Paychecks, the rpg. ;)

A good way to fix that, if you're having this
problem, is to vastly increase the stakes- make adventuring
MUCH
more
profitable than regular jobs, give fairly large XP bonuses,
and so on....
it'll make regular work seem less >worthwhile, but just
like the overpowered
jobs, it will result in quickly reaching high levels....
see below for how to
have a lower key game without the normal problems with
jobs...

I'd be more
inclined to go the other direction and understate job
profitability than boost
return on adventuring. I could see taking a page from GURPS
and pulling
experience gain out of jobs altogether. Have Job Table
crits provide increased
income, and fumbles indicate a lost job or minor injury.
with the message body