Re: (TFT) Great moments

On Friday, September 16, 2011, Margaret Tapley wrote:
> Highlights of tonight's gaming session:
>
> Looting a tavern's wine cellar. In broad daylight. While the tavern was
full of people eating breakfast.

Neat.
Medieval taverns serving breakfast seems a bit New York too me though.

> Out-pirating pirates. They tried to capture the merchant/privateer ship
the party was on, and got a lethal dose of instant karma. (Well, not
quite... they didn't *all* end up dead.)

VERY curious about how you handle ships.

>        Sub-highlights:
>        - Explosive gems (courtesy of the fire wizard) tied to crossbow
bolts.

Uhhhh, not very aerodynamic eh?
What's the weight compared to a bolt tip?
This smacks of technological advancement IMHO
If Spells can be researched then why not Mechanician stuff?
Depending on the crystal formation of the mineral/s in question I'd expect
many "gem quality" stones to be somewhat hard to fashion into traditional
arrowheads... not that they have to be arrowhead shaped per say but it's
more like a flaming arrowhead fired at greater than 45 deg, ergo shorter
range but huge arc.
I doubt "snipper" shots with gems tied onto bolts.

>        - An illusory bear chasing pirates off their own ship, onto the
party's, via a flaming gangplank (with, of course, guys engaging them before
they could get out of the flames)

What's that damage for gangplank fire?
I doubt roaring flames on a gangplank.
See D.M. Bridge of Kaz for more issues with gangplanks.

>        - A cross-dressing bard (How do you like them *heh* apples?).
Apparently there was a good reason for it... pirate bait, I think.

This took me down memory road.
I once vowed to spend an entire play-session in Pendragon not only out of
armour, but naked.
Turns out the GM of the day (luv ya Jimmy) had a Giant for us.
My NOT being encumbered by full armor was a statistical boon.
Who knew?
Good visuals in that fight.
Funny reference and a creative player if I may say.

>        - Double damage on a headshot, courtesy of the elf archer. Made
greater by the fact that the elf was shooting at the pirate who was trying
to haul off the only (actual) female member of the party, and therefore had
to roll to miss his friend as well. The friend in question could probably
have handled the pirate fairly well on her own, but she was enjoying the
fruits of the tavern raid a little too much at the time.

The parentheses around actual is very funny.

> I shudder at the destructive creativity of my players...

No huhu.
I'm pretty stupid to start with but up against a pack of players?
Of course, it's those little things I forget that the players exploit that
makes for some of the best "moments" in game-play I think.

Thanks for the share Ms. T!