Re: (TFT) Jobs table: 100,000 simulated soldiers and farmers

> Economics has to do with labor, not relative costs. > Economics is the labor an individual or group does to produce goods
> and
> services that help meet the hierarchy of needs of the individual or
> group.

No. Economics has to do with perceived value.

> Thats 7kg for a great sword into 0.1kg daggers, 70 of them at $10 a
> pop.
An unrealistic weight for a sword... even claymores are only about 2.5
kg.

Most popular conceptions about swords are untrue. A steel blade, 30" long, 2" X 1/4" at the base and 1" X 1/8" near the tip, weighs about a pound and a half. I've handled antique blades from the Oakeshott collection, and real sword just don't weigh that much. Nor do they need to. Let's not even get into the problems with medieval technology 'melting down' steel. The only place where that happened was in the middle of Asia, and it was a pretty specialized process. It's apparent that someone out there has never made a dagger. I have no problems with a smith making $700 off of a $150 weapon. But the expenses, not to mention the time, will eat a lot of that up. And why bother breaking down old great swords when you could buy some pig iron and carbeurize it? It's be a lot cheaper. In my campaign, you can buy 37.5 Kg of steel for 1 silver (in general, there's places where that differs). So let the smith stupidly buy value-added items and remove their value and rebuild them.
Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com