Re: Change (was: (TFT) Jobs table: ...)

Quoting Joey Beutel <mejobo@comcast.net>:
So the problem with TFT, and I think I mentioned this somewhere, is
that magic on one hand is treated more like an understandable thing,
more or less a science, like with books.
But in other places it says that those books and such aren't the only
way, obviously, and that a true master can make spells happen without
going through the motions, and so on... Similarly, I'd imagine that
someone coming up with a spell does it however they make it work...
So to me the most reasonable explanation (it is magic we're

I disagree with your premises, but not your conclusion. It may be easier if we more closely equate magic with engineering. Let's say I'm an engineer trying to make an item out of metal. If I have no experience, I take a hunk of metal, and remove everything that does not look like the item. That's takes a while and a bunch of effort. And another engineer at my level isn't going to necessarily use the same strokes of the file or sawcuts, but another engineer will be able to figure out what they're making. If I'm a little better, I may make some pieces that I can assemble into the item. But because it's metal, I'm welding them together and I have to file and sand a bit at the end. Again, another egineer may use different parts, but someone could figure out what item we're making. As I get better, I may be able to fabricate fewer peices, and my welding gets better and needs less clean-up. If I'm better than that, I may be able to cast the item whole. And again, another engineer could figure out what I'm making (especially if they see the model). And if I'm on the cutting edge, I use a 3D printer. This is like how TFT magic works. If I know the spell, but I'm no so good at it, I have to use my hands and voice. But if I'm good enough, I don't need to anything but think. The basis doesn't really matter. It could be purely mental, or it could be alien space bats hearing the spell and doing what the spell wants to have done. Or it could be natural thaumaturgy working on the classicla magical laws (similarity, proximity, opposition, etc.)

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com