Re: (TFT) Reality vs. Game Mechanics

Hypothesized weaponized Lasers don't really punch through and cauterize. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I've heard from enough experts to say with some confidence that they would cause damage more or less identical to that of a kinetic weapon, like a bullet. The idea is that you use a 'pulsed' laser, not a continuos beam, so that the first pulse creates a small steam explosion upon hitting that puts a little crater into a person, then the next pulse comes and puts a crater at the bottom of that crater, and so on. Given that pulses just need to be slow enough to let the steam dissipate a bit (which happens very, very quickly), the effect is that you basically blow a hole through the person. The wound doesn't cauterize cause it's not doing damage through heat, its doing damage mechanically. The wounds will be messy, deadly, and possibly a bit gorier than a bullet, as the momentum won't push all the blood in one direction- it'll just fly everywhere.