Re: (TFT) Magic Carpets and Brooms

Ughhhhh, there's a whole book out ' *Quidditch Through the Ages*.
Sigh.
It's less than ten bucks and I certianly can't do anything athoritative
without it.
Still, it looks to be a fruitful enough analogy to be worth putting on the
back burner till the book gets here and I can read it.
Also rules for other games and team info as I understand.
I guess I could still look at the grid.

"We use a six foot by four foot board with four inch squares."

This is FABLOUS for me because I draw square-hexes on graph paper that uses
quarter inch squares making a 1 inch square (of equal area to the 1 inch hex
ergo square-hex) 4 squares across.
So when looking at issues of facing, the sides of a square represent 4, 90
degree turns to compleate a circle.
The sides of a hex would represent 6, 60 degree turns.
A square that allows facing either side-centers or vertices is 8, 45
degree turns.
Hex side-centers or vertices is 12, 30 degree turns.
Next you can technically use quarter inch square vertices, 14, ~25 degree
turns for a 1 inch hex and 16, 22.5 degree turns for a 1 inch square to
compleate a circle.
Movement at this scale is actually off the 1 inch unit scale and maneuvers
can work like Car Wars at this level of control.

Height bands are interesting.
I'd need about 250, 4.3 foot square-hex-heights (so cubic volume) to clear
the Eiffel Tower by more than 10 feet.
That's just over 1000 feet and 10,000 feet was a record altitude in 1915
which would be about 2500 square-hex-heights.
That would make each of the 14 height bands just over 175 square-hex-heights
or about 750 feet of altitude per height band.
Of course something like 250 square-hex-heights per height band is roughly
1000 feet of altitude (1075 ft) and would make 14 height bands come in at
just over 15,000 feet of altitude.
That generalizes okay I guess... but what about altitude climbs and dives?
Well I know that to gain 1 hex-height of altitude in 1 hex of lateral
movement it's a 45 degree climb.
To gain that same hex-height in half a hex movement is a 60 degree climb.
It's a 30 degree climb to gain that hex-height in a hex and a half and it's
22.5 degrees of climb to gain a hex-height per two hexes moved and yada yada
yada.

Now if viewed as a tessilation of the plane there are 2 tiles, periodiocally
laid in collums which I run from north to south.

Broom acceleration seems to be measured from naught to x-speed in 10 seconds
or 2 TFT turns, but 10 turns in Car Wars and GURPS.
That would give Harry's Firebolt an acceleration of about 5 hexes per second
or about 5 battle-maps (pages or 50 hexes n/s) MA per TFT turn after 2 TFT
turns acceleration.

hummmmm...