Re: (TFT) Space travel - galaxy sized dyson spheres.

At 3:44 -0500 12/10/11, Jay wrote:
A solar mass only bends light to a few milliarcseconds nei?

..No. Nei. Whatever.

It depends, completely, on how close the light passes to the mass. If the solar mass is swelled up to 1.4E6 km diameter (like ours is) by internally-generated heat, then yes, because the light can't get closer than about 7E6 km to the center of mass without getting obstructed.

If the same mass is allowed to cool and contract into a "white dwarf", probably a good fraction of a degree, since the white dwarf will have a *much* smaller radius, and the light can pass closer to it.

If the same mass is allowed to form a neutron star (ie the electron shells collapse, so the mass is jammed up nucleus to nucleus), radius goes down to 12 km or so. In that case, light is deflected probably tens of degrees. (Current theory says neutron stars actually need 1.3 solar masses to form, fwiw.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star

Finally, if you can crunch the mass of the sun just a bit smaller than a neutron star, it becomes a black hole. Then the light gets bent arbitrarily far. I suppose you could think of it spiralling down forever, but I'm not sure that's a fair depiction of the space-time around a singularity....