(TFT) Star Trek Empire Size

PvK writes:
> But no, not according to maps found in, for example, products by Task Force Games (for games like Star Fleet Battles, Federaton & Empire), and other sources I've seen with maps of the Federation and other star empires, that show them spread out over a wide range of one side of the galaxy, covering multiple arms of the galactic spiral, and so it's neither a matter of exploring only one arm, nor of heading towards the center of the galaxy.

In one episode of Star Trek the Enterprise goes to "the edge of the
galaxy". TFG interpreted this as having gone to the rim of the galaxy
i.e. the bit furthest from the core, which is maybe 30KLY from Sol and
implies empires are big. But more canonical Star Trek material has
interpreted this as having reached the nearest place that isn't the
galaxy, i.e. galactic north or south i.e. up or down if the galaxy is
spinning in a horizontal plane, maybe 2-3KLY.  That implies empires
are a lot smaller.

David