Re: (TFT) Aimed Shots

At 0:09 -0400 5/22/12, TFT Joel wrote:
Ok. I took a breath.   You make some good points. What you are saying
essentially is to reward characters for their character designs, which I
agree with.

I must say in the many years ive been playing this, I never considered
aimed shots.  I dont know why. I guess im not adventurous. I dont recall it
ever coming up. I guess I always thought that a -6 will never hit, mostly
because i tend to not min/max/munchkin my characters. I tend to build my
characters aesthetically. Maybe thats why they die young (and stay pretty)....

Well. Around here, the ongoing problem is MPNS hobbits (stands for Murderous Psycho Ninja Sniper). For a beginning hobbit, ST:4, DX:17, IQ:9, Thrown weapons, huge handfuls of sha-ken. Racial bonuses kick in, and pretty much every one of the sha-ken is likely to hit *and* every one does +1 damage. Unarmored opponents are shredded; if the hobbit backs off a few hexes to run up the distance adjDX penalty, half of the handful will miss the first target - and go on to take out the *next* target. For armored opponents, the head-shot rules still come in handy if the hobbit also carries a dagger. And then there's weapon poison...

Once, it was an amazing curiosity. Now, there's at least one every party. Sigh.

On the one hand, it was a board game first, and the MPNS hobbit players should be commended for finding a beneficial corner-case in the rules. Really high adjDX simply rocks.

On the other hand, I feel really bad for the guys that take the traditional sword and shield and get left in the dust on total kills, by a character that "...might have vanished ages ago if not for one thing: They are very likeable." - but nevertheless spent much of his childhood learning to use stealthy-kill weapons.

	er, yeah.

My favorite idea so far is, "use it, expect to fight it". That is, sooner or later my party is going to run into a nest of short, cuddly highwaymen sporting belts loaded with jingling pouches of sharp, pointy things. Can't wait to see the looks on their faces.