Re: (TFT) Experience for skills

Nice stuff Peter.
I note that GURPS got a whole lot more development than TFT.
Out of all the stuff in TFT Talents to me always felt the most unfinished
of it all, maybe because of the prominent place Talents hold overall in the
system, maybe because of all the Unarmed Combats lumped there at the end
(make fighters get IQ at some point?).

I've been trying to have Talent costs relate to the time required in a week
to maintain the Talent at "competition" level (aka opposed stat chks).
Forgetting a Talent is not maintaining it over time, folks who use a lot of
the Wizards Guild "service" might start to notice ageing-like side effects.
IQ spent on Research (the Tech-Tree), Study (the Figure) or Followers is
not available for Talent maintenance.
A ST based Talent (Warrior) is paid for in ST once "muscle-memory" kicks in
and Study is complete and likewise a DX based Talent (Acrobatics) accounts
to DX.
Many Talents may be compound.
Alertness, or even a Dodge Action, could be DX & IQ (with my phase stuff it
works like that).
If so an Alertness chk could be the average of DX and IQ or even a ratio of
the two that the player can fiddle with in "practice".

I really like the idea of "schools" or "styles" of martial combat.
Unarmed Combat I @ IQ 10 would have its own set of levels or belts maybe as
would UC II and etc.
This just as easily applies to weapon Talents as well.
As a matter of fact, that may be why Thrown and Missile Weapons take so
much practice, if they just focused on a specific weapon they might not
take so much time up each week maintaining them.
Or that's the thought right now anyway.
Rat brains with bluetooth tech are also involved here.