(TFT) Re: TFT Digest V4 #290

I'm not keen on the order of attacks rules for TFT. The unengaged pole
weapon user is godlike, and last shot at a charging figure is a little
messy. I've always wanted to try something else and I'd like your opinion
on this:

Attacks occur in the following order:
* Figures engaging or engaged by other figures at the start of the turn
(i.e. before movement) may attack those other figures (only) in melee or
hand-to-hand. (DX order)
* Figures who were not engaged by other figures at the start of the turn
may make missile attacks (once only) (DX order). If they are presently
engaged then the attack must be against the figures engaging them.
* Pole weapon users engaging other figures may make melee attacks (ST order)
* Non-pole weapon users may make melee and hand-to-hand attacks (ST order)
* Reverse missile spells act
* Figures not presently engaged and with excessive DX may make second
missile attacks (DX order)

"DX order" means that within this category figures act in decreasing order
of DX adjusted for everything except range.
"ST order" means that within this category figures act in decreasing order
of the ST required for the weapon.

Some of the consequences:
* The pole weapon first attack advantage is only useful in the first clash,
it can't be used to pre-empt a melee fight that's already in progress.
(Harder to rescue, harder to kill steal)
* Long weapons have the advantage over short weapons in the first clash.
Pole weapons are assumed to be longer than non-pole weapons, otherwise
weapons requiring high ST are assumed to be longer than weapons requiring
small ST.
* ST is more important, DX is less.
* Last shot at a charging figure emerges naturally from the rules and is no
longer a special rule.
* An archer who is engaged but rescued during the turn may get a shot off
at the end.

I think I like all these consequences except maybe the last, about which
I'm ambivalent.

I'm not sure where disengage actions should go, perhaps at the very end.
The standard rules make disengage too easy for high DX characters, putting
disengage at the end arguably makes it too hard.

The first rule, privileging engaged figures, is stolen from DragonQuest.

-----
David

On 6 December 2012 16:44, TFT Digest <tft-owner@brainiac.com> wrote:

> TFT Digest         Thursday, December 6 2012         Volume 04 : Number 290

> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 00:52:09 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Jay Carlisle <maou.tsaou@gmail.com>
> Subject: (TFT) Invitation to connect on LinkedIn
>
> LinkedIn
> - ------------

> - - Jay
>
> Jay Carlisle
> Student at The University of Hard Knocks University College
> Portland, Oregon Area
>
> Confirm that you know Jay Carlisle:
>
> https://www.linkedin.com/e/-rj915m-haabcexs-2t/isd/9876833116/rWxC2F0x/?hs=false&tok=2CDMwf6IbQv5w1
>
> - --
> You are receiving Invitation to Connect emails. Click to unsubscribe:
>
> http://www.linkedin.com/e/-rj915m-haabcexs-2t/hL3s6CSSYCzPKt6_eyD4GB-H70n/goo/tft%40brainiac%2Ecom/20061/I3295552025_1/?hs=false&tok=2wOz5yLbDQv5w1
>
> (c) 2012 LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA 94043,
> USA.
> =====
> "unsubscribe tft"
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 23:44:42 -0600
> From: Meg Tapley <barnswallow@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: (TFT) 7-Hex Dragon down?
>
> http://www.7hexdragon.org/
>
> ...hopefully temporarily. I'm getting a "server not found" error
> message; the servers it's on could just be having downtime for whatever
> reason (like maybe being located in NY, last time I surfed that site was
> before Sandy). Not sure how much this information benefits anyone, but I
> don't like seeing sites go offline. The Wayback Machine can only do so
> much.
>
> - - Meg
> =====
> "unsubscribe tft"