Re: (TFT) Re: Dodging arrows

Stayner adds that the best wood is grown in the poor soil of the mountains;
this produced the desired light grained
wood.39<http://margo.student.utwente.nl/sagi/artikel/longbow/notes.html>
Ascham
described the best yew for bow staves as coloured:
"...lyke virgin wax or golde, having a fine longe grayne, even from the one
ende of the bowe, to the other... the short grayne are for a most part very
brittle."40<http://margo.student.utwente.nl/sagi/artikel/longbow/notes.html>

Staves were cut only in winter, when the sap was
down.41<http://margo.student.utwente.nl/sagi/artikel/longbow/notes.html>
Stayner
notes that the yew wood trade was tied to the wine trade. To insure an
adequate supply of bows, "at one time, all wine imports (from Southern
France) had to have longbow staves in the cargo as well."