Re: (TFT) The year is 20XX...

Erol,

Howard Thompson and team added that in after Steve Jackson had left the company. It's only in the very last addition of TFT and, as far as I can tell, was added because of a lot of vocal dissatisfaction concerning the pole weapon charge attack rules. Of course those of us who don't think the rule is broken usually don't complain about it. Therefore I think it was a simple case of the squeaky wheel gets the oil. The other possible factor is that Thompson was trying to move away from Jackson's version of the rules and mold them more to his own tastes. Me, I'll stick with the original designer's rules.

Two quick things.
1. I think a lot of people got hung up on the word "charge". Call it a one hex "lunge" attack and the rule suddenly just sounds better.

2. If you really want to nerf the two top tiered pole weapons just add in an extra die damage rather than double what's rolled. Keeps the lower pole weapons doing basically double damage while lowering the bite of the two big ones.

My two cents,
David
David O. Miller
www.meleewizards.com