 From: gem6868 <gem6868@ve
rizon.net>
To: tft@brainiac.com
Sent: Monday, August 4, 2014 7:20 PM

Subject: Re: (TFT) Man To Man & GURPS - hack/n/slash ethics

abs
olutely.  The GM or the group if they rotate, needs to set a tone for the

world or area or adventure they are on.  Some GMs may just be "hey, k
ill
them all and let their evil gods sort them out - they're friggin ORK
S man!"
Others may have a more diverse moral compass.  I've done all o
f them.

With real humans, that sort of hate of another human has to be
 learned, it
can't even be trained.  They have to kill YOUR FRIENDS an
d TRY TO KILL YOU
before you hate them enough to try and _really_ kill t
hem back.  Lots of
famous memoirs of WWII talk about how there was a f
ine line between the guys
that went out and shot a few Germans on their
own initiative and liked it,
and the guys who shot Germans b/c it was th
eir duty to keep advancing until
they reached Berlin and got to go home.
  The latter didn't like the former,
finding them somewhat sick and am
oral.  Lots of guys who killed plenty of
Germans developed a healthy r
espect for them and actually became MORE moral.
Others got sicker and ca
me to enjoy it.  When they went home from killing
nazies they probably
 killed minorities.

Anyway, I think the article overstated the case.
  The shades of moral grey
that gamers want is just fine, it's a game.
  And there's nothing wrong with
destroying ultimate evil in my book.
  So am I broken up that Sauron couldn't
be "redeemed" and his ring ha
d to be destroyed to destroy him?   Nah, not
really.  You make certa
in choices for power, you take your chances.
F--k'im.  And the minions
 he rode to power upon.  ;)

You want a moral quandary???  How abou
t the ethics of Death Test and Death
Test 2!?  I thought the premise w
as sort of sick, but funny.  Sort of like
the ethics of a gladiator fi
ght.  Will I still play them?  heck yeah!

-----Original M
essage-----