Re: (TFT) Jeffries "Down with the King" style, spare time tables.

Yes, I agree with most of your comments, but will take the opportunity to r
emind you that they were written many, many years ago (30 or so, as I recal
l), and I haven't done anything with them since.  As I was looking the
m over again last night, I realized there was a LOT there that I would need
 to change if I used them again!
The Witchcraft table was left off because of one player's objection, and be
cause it was hard to figure out how to make it work with TFT magic as writt
en.  I suspect I would add it in now, with a slightly different approa
ch to the whole thing.
I'd agree with reworking the XP rewards; at the time TFT was simply deadly
(no healing magic to save you in the middle of a dungeon, remember), so we
tried to get some meaningful XP rewards that the guys actually had a chance
 of surviving to earn; but with the addition of minor healing spells and po
tions it is potentially much less deadly and clearly XP rewards would need
to be reworked entirely.  I think I'd also scale the tables somewhat,
so that some of the less riskier tables simply have smaller rewards and los
ses but either "cost" nothing to try or have minimal requirements, while th
e more "expensive" tables have commensurately greater rewards and losses.
  Going to 3d6 would also be a good idea -- I think I went with 2d6 in
 the originals because a) it matched the DWTK tables, and b) it was quicker
 to gin something up.
Celebrity points might be a good idea, and having them tied to location mig
ht as well, but I think I'd try for some way of intuitively handling it so
that it was simple, elegant and required the least amount of paperwork poss
ible to use.  I'll think on that one some more and see if I can figure
 a way out that works smoothly and simply.
Regarding printing the tables out for the players -- that thought never act
ually occurred to me.  To me these were gamemaster tables, to be used
by the GM.  The players got a laundry list of suitable activities they
 could try, along with their "costs" and could decide what they wanted to d
o based off that.  The actual results were handled like any other GM m
anaged roll.  But then I didn't give them a copy of the risk/reward ta
bles for jobs either -- just some idea of what was riskier for them to do.
  The bottom line is that these tables smack somewhat of deus ex machi
na in terms of rewards and the like, and so I wanted to keep how the sausag
e was made sort of behind the scenes as far as the characters were concerne
d.  I'd let them make the roll, and tell them that higher was better,
but other than that I just kept it behind the screen, as it were.  Doe
s that make sense?  I don't know if I'd do it differently or not nowad
ays....  Another thing to think on.
I might also point out that with all the new talents available from you and
 others out there, the tables would need redevelopment anyway, just to get
them more into synch with all the new opportunities!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the tables!  Now I wonder if I sho
uld send you the "mercantilism in TFT" tables that I used as the GM to crea
te a minor model of a "working trade economy" for the players to exploit or
 not....
v/rJeff