Re: (TFT) Guns in TFT - A big expansion.

Hi David,
  My comments are inline below:

On 2016-06-18, at 4:46 AM, David Bofinger wrote:
> ... Technically the good gunner needs mIQ for the fast reload talent...
>
> The biggest advantage of guns over arrows is that the guns penetrated
> armour the arrows couldn't. I'm not sure how long it took for guns to get
> that good.

The weapons do a decent amount of damage, even at fairly low tech.

> The standard TFT microbes are supposed to be something they have on
> Cidri. In a game set somewhere else they might not exist. I think your
> rules should be explicitly agnostic on the subject.

I was not impressed with the Cidri background, and never used it in my
games.  Thus my rules tend to not mention them.  However, it is trivial
for a GM to say that gunpowder does not age and go bad if he wants to
do so.

> Sulfur-free powder does work. Not as well - some of the carbon dioxide
> gets made into potassium carbonate
> so there's less gas - but a larger charge of sulfur-free powder ought
> to work more or less like regular powder.
> At least, I can't see why it wouldn't. I guess there would be more
> fouling. Maybe you want to ignore this inconvenient fact.

That is interesting.  Currently (tho not discussed in my rules), G.P.
weapons must be cleaned regularly to avoid fouling.  It would be an
interesting trade off to have gunpowder which has less power, and
fouls guns quicker, but is immune to going bad.  I may have some
cultures in the slope have some of this long duration G. P. stored
away in places.

> There's no reason serpentine would be better than corned for resisting
> the effects of microbes, in fact worse.

I disagree.  My thought is that the second wetting and grinding adds more
bacteria.  Why would you think it is the other way?

> You've described three levels of gunpowder technology but there are
> others and some people might like to play with Napoleonic
> technology, or even the Minie balls of the American Civil War.

True enough.  I've run modern day TFT vs Zombies.  Another time (or if
I decide to run a campaign in those settings.)

> A lot of the weapons seem more relevant to large-scale battles against
> mass formations than adventuring.
>
> --
> David

Yes, lots of cannon, carranades, wall guns, swivel guns, and a few field
pieces.  A major goal was to allow a pirates campaign so we now have
suitable artillery.

Warm regards, Rick.