Re: Rick's comments on the Defend Option

Yes, that's what I meant - the only helpful time to use Defend is when you think something will get better by itself by wasting a turn. Defend may have more of an effect when you are engaged with multiple foes, but unless something else is going to improve the situation while you Defend, such as:

* your friends are going to come rescue you
* you're about to recover from DX effects of injury
* you can shift off of broken ground or darkness next turn, or escape by jumping into a pit
* your foes have summons or spell effects that may wear off in a turn or two
* other ? external situations

you're not going to improve the situation by merely reducing the enemies' chances of hurting you this turn. Next turn you'll face the same situation (except maybe more injured).