From: Rick Smith <rick_ww@lightspeed.ca>
Date: 2/1/18 1:59 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: Edward Kroeten <ekroeten@farmersagent.com>
Cc: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: Rick's comments on the Defend Option

Hi Edward, everyone.
  In my games a common reason to defend is: you know you
are about to die and are trying to delay the inevitable as much
as possible.

  One of my NPC's (33 attributes), is facing a PC with 48 attributes
and it is obvious from the fate of his ex-friends that he stands no
chance.  No chance at all.  PC engages the NPC and the NPC
defends.  Why not?  His weapon if he rolls max damage will only
do a point or two to the PC, and any hit by the PC will likely kill
him.  The NPC defends.  Maybe the PC's magic sword will break.
Maybe the horse will learn to sing.

  Sure Clive should be less skilled at defence than Glen.  But let
us look at just Clive.  If Clive is attacking, should he be easier to
hit than if he is 100% oriented on defending?

  Under current rules, against high attribute figures there really is
no difference.  Why not attack?  He is going to die either way.
All the time in my game I come to situations where someone looks
at the tactical situation and says, "Defending would be smart here,
too bad that it is a trivial waste of time that won't really reduce my
chance of being hit."

  You said that both people are treated equally, and then you say
my system gives Clive an unfair advantage.  No, both are the same.
Clive is not penalized, and if you think he should be, and isn't, that is
like an advantage, right?  No, it just means he is not penalized.

    As for your parrying rules, sure.  I have no great objection to them
since you give up your attack.  (I think that every version of parrying
that I have seen, before yours, allows people to parry AND attack.)
Giving steep DX penalties to parrying multiple times per turn is fine.
And of course the DX negative generated with a parry would add to
any other DX modifiers.

  If you parry 4 times are you at -16 DX?  Or are you limiting people
to a maximum of 3 parries per turn?

  However, the details of your suggested system elude me a bit.
You want the -4 DX from multiple parries to add to the DX penalties
of striking at specific body parts.  I thought you had said, that if you
parry, you don't get to strike?  I've bolded a portion of your argument
below.

Warm regards, Rick.