Re: Steve Jackson - major change to TFT.

> On Jun 12, 2018, at 9:19 PM, PvK <pvk@oz.net> wrote:
>

> Thomas Fulmer <tfulmer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Further, by basing its capacity on IQ, you remove almost any incentive for a party wizard to have ST. If i have 4 less ST, and put it into IQ my Mana is the same, but I have access to higher level spells. This will matter a lot more if my attributes are capped at 40.
>
> Well partly. Staff power recharges much slower than your ST does, and you do have to spend EP to get the staff power (I'd think it should be an increasing cost per level, too, rather than a flat 100 EP per level).
>

>> --- rick_ww@lightspeed.ca wrote:
>> The thing I object to is wizards have gotten even more powerful
>> relative to heroes.
>
> Yes, though the thing I think I may be most worried about is that heroes may now tend to end up getting quite a few spells…

Yes, why take a hero???  With these rules wizards will take
talents, and heroes will take spells.  Heroes will pay 3:1 for
spells, whereas wizards pay either 2:1 or 1:1 for talents.

>> --- rick_ww@lightspeed.ca wrote:
>> Anyone think that Wishes will get a LOT more popular in the
>> new TFT?
>
> Not without some reasonable way to actually make a Wish. Currently max natural IQ will be 24... even with a +2 Charm item, that means that such a weird/rare wizard will die to a Demon on a 7+ on 3d6... it will be hard to get a Wish industry started without your nice house rules giving Psychic Combat talents, or some non-human spellcasters that have superhuman IQ or something.

Under current rules you are crazy to try for a wish unless you have around a 30 IQ.  So it is pretty obvious to me that SJ will have to change how wishes are created.  He could simply lower the Demon’s IQ of course.

> I think I'm happy to have a good reason industrial Wishes probably don't exist, but if they did, then yes, certainly Wishes would be coveted even more than they would otherwise be. I never liked using Wishes to boost attributes in any case.
>
> I think that it may put a larger emphasis on other, non-Wish magical items that also boost abilities, since everyone will be 40 or less.
> e.g.:
> * Charms & Attribute boosters (which, like Wishes, I also disliked and avoided having exist)
> * Weapon/Armor Enchantment
> * fine-quality weapons
> * stone/iron flesh (especially if missile spells and pole weapons are all getting damage nerfs)

One thing I didn’t like was SJ explicitly said, “Heroes can develop in the later game buy buying magic items”.  Grrr… I want my characters to be great because they are awesome, and not because they are carrying a tonne of stuff around with them.

Rick