Robert J. Kuntz "Dave Arneson's True Genius"

Dave Arneson's True Genius

The FIRST book ever written on D&D's co-designer!"

 - Robert J. Kuntz

link to his website
https://www.threelinestudio.com/store/dave-arneson-s-true-genius/

After a year of debates across old school D&D forums about what-the-hell-is-this-book-about Rob Kuntz himself replied by quoting someone who got-it-right.

debate
http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/12316/dave-arneson-true-genius

Vimeo review of the book
https://vimeo.com/249226380

text Book review
https://www.blogarama.com/gambling-and-games-blogs/1284907-advanced-gaming-amp-theory-blog/20351461-dave-arnesons-true-genius-review

So there was a lot of debate on an Old D&D forum, people circling the wagons around the legacy of Gygax and generally not understanding what Kuntz's book actually said.  Apparently anything positive said about Arneson was perceived as an attack on Gygax.  Mostly people were just dismissing the book as confusing, and "what does it even say"?  Then Derv gave his understanding of it.

>Derv over at ODDPro said:

> "At it's core, I believe Kuntz is saying that he {Arneson} created a framework (architecture), not thought of before, that is not dependent upon structured rules (sub-systems) or data, yet is still complete as a system. The essence of the original concept is found in the architecture of the game. The sub-systems are inconsequential and/or mutable and do not truly define Arneson's creative leap, an ever changing and adaptive design."

Apparently he was right because the author Rob Kuntz replied saying as much.

> RobKuntz said:
> Ding-Ding as Gronan would say... We have a winner!

Read more: http://ruinsofmurkhill.proboards.com/thread/1161/dave-arnesons-true-genius-april?page=8#ixzz5L6cX4kdZ

All in all the whole thing is best summed up in one sentence "When imagination was the only rule."