(TFT) [A] Up the Creek (part 1)

I restarted my TFT adventure this evening, I thought some of you might
like to share in it. This is the third part of a converted AD&D
scenario, the party have investigated the village, cleansed the Temple
and are now going looking for The Enemy.

Playing this evening we had:
Lissar Hiss - Lizardman adventurer and chicken mollester,
Obsidious the Gargoyle - Heretical Priest of the new religion, (he
invented it)
Torac the First - Human adventurer and former valet now making his own
way in the world,
Striker "I'll Lightning bolt it!" the Mighty Bolt Lobber - Probably
Human.

Waiting in the wings:
Mr Chips - Human, Carpenter, voice of reason and possesor of a magic
sword,
Band Willowstaff - Halfling Bravo and adopted parent of two
Prootwaddles,
Flint Fire Forge - Dwarf adventurer and mining engineer.
Sydney - the Half-Orc fashion ikon. (He wishes)

NPC's:
Hogun the crocodile hunter - native guide and boat owner.
2 Catfish - deceased
1 snapping turtle, 1 leech & several "floating logs".

The party have learned that The Enemy lurks deep in the heart of a vast
marsh, from where she sends out her spies and agents to wreak havoc
among the surrounding setlements. They have managed to persuade Hogun
the Crocodile Hunter to transport them into the marsh in his boat. They
have travelled some distance, noticed several "floating logs" following
the boat and Obsidious has had a brief encounter with a leech. (The
leech gave up trying to get blood from a gargoyle). By early evening
they reach a small island in a lagoon where Hogun proposes to camp for
the night.

Obsidious carries out a brief arial recce and discovers that from the
air  one piece of marsh looks very like all the other bits of marsh.
Hogun catches a catfish, Lissar chops wood and Striker and Torac decide
to go fishing. Neither has any previous experience of catching fish and
Torac vetoes Strikers suggestion of "I'll Lightning bolt the water and
see what floats to the surface". On a luck roll (4d vs your best
attribute) with borrowed tackle Striker manages to hook and land a small
catfish. Torac has a go and manages to snag his line, a small scaley
head pops above the surface and hisses at him; A snapping turtle has
taken his bait and is now angrily tugging on the line. Previously Torac
has had his armour spot welded whilst wearing it so he rejects Striker's
offer to Lightning bolt the turtle.

This is when party telepathy takes over, Obsidious is on arial patrol
when he spots the fishermen and the turtle. He decideds to swoop down
and snatch the turtle from the water, (Obviously he has seen too many
wildlife films of fish eagles). Obsidious makes his DX roll to grab the
turtle but didn't realise how heavy it is, (the shell is over a yard
across) Splash! By great effort he manages to rise from the water and
throw the turtle towards the shore, Splash!! Torac and Striker are now
soaked with muddy water, Striker lashes out with his staff clocking the
turtle on the shell, the turtle snaps at Torac and grabs his boot. Back
in camp; Lissar hears the commotion and decides to charge to the rescue.
There is a three way fight going on as Striker, Torac and Obsidious all
miss the turtle (and each other), the turtle gets a better grip on
Toracs foot. When Lissar bursts through the undergrowth and charges in
swinging his broadsword. He rolls a 17 to hit (crit fumble) the sword
bounces off the turtle shell and Splosh! falls in the lagoon. The
following round Torac managed to fataly stab the turtle, I gave him the
Dex bonus for HtH (beak-to-foot).

There are now three humanoids, a great deal of commotion, a dying turtle
and blood in the water. The floating logs take an interest. Lissar says
"I'm going to get my sword."

to be continued next week :o)

Chris

--