Re: (TFT) Appropriate use of copyrighted material

"J. McGuire" <jmcguire@wtsoft.com> wrote:
> At 09:24 PM 12/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >My point is that the writing a computer program is alot of work and very
> >different from the type and amount of work that went into designing the
> >rules. If Steve Jackson is going to profit from writing the rules to Melee
> >(for example), then why shouldn't I profit from the amount of work it took
> >to write a computer program 'version' of it?
>
> I give up. I totally give up. I am not, and will not be, able to respond in
> a civil fashion. I'm out of here.

Wow, this saddens me.  Jean's provided a lot of interesting background
to these intellectual property discussions, and gives the perspective of
someone actually working in the business and who has tangled with some of
the big guns with regards to IP issues.

Now she's actually been driven off the list by someone who has his head
wedged deep into the sand.  I got her unsub notice in my mail queue this
morning.

As the owner of this list, I'm going to make a plea for her to return, and
I'm going to ask Michael Taylor to stop arguing the point.  Mike, we have
a _lot_ of game industry experience and even legal expertise here.  You're
just not right on this issue, and no amount of arguing on your part is
going to change trademark law or what the right thing to do is.

So _please_, let's put this to bed now.  If anyone wants to know what
discussions of trademark law have happened in the past, and what folks
have had to say, browse the archives at http://www.brainiac.com/tft/

There - I hope that's the last word.  Sorry to be a hard-ass, but I think
it had to be done.  Please send any replies to me personally - keep them
off the list.  If I have to, I'll turn this into a moderated forum until
this blows over.