Re: (TFT) Compact Warrior/Compact Sorceror

The Hussar of Conflans at hussar@hotmail.com on 4/28/99 8:13 AM said:

>Sorry for being off topic, but my appetite is whetted for the
>Compacts, bein' as close as they are to the original Melee/Wizard
>notionally.  Can anyone take a moment to expound on the distribution
>channels for these products?

I'm in the process of finishing up the final edit on COMPACT WARRIOR and
COMPACT SORCERER right now, in fact. We're going to press in about a week
and a half, with release about two weeks following that. We were delayed
a bit by a format change and a subsequent alteration of the cover design,
but we're almost ready to go at long last.

Right at first, distribution for the COMPACT games will be direct-order
via credit card through our web site (or checks/money orders accepted by
mail) only. We do have a dealer program in the works, but we're waiting
until the first COMPACT products come out before implementing it, so it
will be at least a month or two before that's in gear. (The international
end of that is turning into a real bear to get working, too. I may have
to delay extending the dealer program to international dealers for
awhile, doggone it!)

COMPACT WARRIOR includes a 24-page digest-sized rulebook, a much expanded
set of weapon cards (in a new, larger, trading-card-size format), a LOT
of Gary Williams' cardboard standups, and an 11 X 17 combat board. It
will sell for $8.95 (no shipping charges in the US).

COMPACT SORCERER will have a 24-page digest-sized expansion rulebook
adding combat magic to the COMPACT system, an assortment of
trading-card-size spell cards, and even more Gary Williams cardboard
standups for wizardly characters plus an additional 11 X 17 combat board.
It will also sell for $8.95 (no shipping charges in the US).

There will be those who will be disappointed that we didn't stick with
the "traditional" Metagaming-style microbook format, but we found that in
the long run it actually INCREASED the cost without substantially
improving the product. (A long sigh is appropriate here for those of us
-- like me -- who occasionally allow nostalgia to get in the way of
practicality.)

Several more COMPACT products are already in the late production stages.
In fact, we held back several 3D Adventure Packs (followups on the
BAR-Barians!-style format) until we had the primary game books released.
You'll see FOR A FEW BALLOTS MORE and LAST GAS BEFORE Y2K without a lot
of delay once the main books are shipping, with lots more to follow.

We now have freelancers guidelines in place for the COMPACT system, so
anyone who is interested in designing/developing products for the system
should drop me a note and I'll put you on the freelancers list. We want
the releases to come quickly for this one. We're also going to be needing
artists to take on some of the expanding chores of creating both cover
art and character standups.

The big news, however, is the expansion of the PlainLabel Game System (on
which COMPACT is based) into a roleplaying line and a set of compatible
miniatures rules as well. That's WAY off topic for this list, so I'll
simply say this is in the works and we'll be looking for freelancers to
do World Books that feed all three "lobes" of this unique three-part game
system.

It's been a LONG pull to get here, and the folks on this list have been
very supportive. Thanks a bunch! I hope you like what you see when these
first COMPACT COMBAT products hit the streets!

Guy McLimore / guymc@evansville.net
MicroTactix Games
http://microtactix.gamingoutpost.com