(TFT) Pole weapons and pet peeves

I was reading Interplay #7 and it has an answer to that pesky pole weapons
problem of doing double damage on a charge.

In Bill Gustafson's article on Pole Weapons (p.25), he mentions Paul Wagner
suggested the double damage rule be changed to be like fencing.  Good idea!
Gustafson also mentions a modification to the Melee rules, that in a charge
the last two hexes moved through must be in a straight line.  Although, Bill
does state that he doesn't use this rule in his own campaign in favor of
having the pole weapon attacker going at least three hexes to prevent any
wild moves on the hexgrid.

What do you all think?

Pet peeve
Zombie rings:  Here is an magic item worth $3000.  This ring arrests the
process of decay of 1 ST per day.  For some reason, TFT does not like its
lesser undead because in order to have them for a long time they need zombie
rings.  My peeve with this is the fact that the party destroys 10 zombies
that reside in a tomb, they get 10 zombie rings for a possible $30,000.  Why
fight dragon's when we can fight weaker undead and still make a buck?
Because of this I shyed away from the use of these (skeletons/zombies)
undead.  This was one rule the players wouldn't let me change.  I wonder why
Steve created this rule.

Yours in Cidri,
Justin