Re: (TFT) Stan's efforts

In a message dated 9/30/99 3:51:35 AM !!!First Boot!!!, grabowski@erols.com
writes:

<< Why did armies go to firearms (slow loading, short range, and apt to
 misfire) to begin with rather than stick with the longbow (that fired faster
 and farther)?  I know the answer do you??? >>

Yeah it takes 20 YEARS (how much is this in game time?) to train an expert
longbowman, and only months to train an expert musketman (and only weeks to
train a competent one). This was the problem-the manpower problem. What
monarch is going to let his peasants off the farm so long to train every
year. I think the English Yeomen got to train on Sundays after Church (could
explain the 20 year figure...). A musket was a little more weather proof than
a bow, as you could wrap the lock in rags, but you had to destring a bow, but
this is a minor point compared to the above...