(TFT) The Real Spearman, Michael

SPEARMAN

Thank you! I've added this to the VERY LARGE document of Talents! Let me
know if you want a copy!

The only TFT article that comes to mind is "TFT: Pole Weapons" by William
D. Gustafson from Interplay #7.

I've got a fair-sized gaming collection, but nothing really comes to mind
as far as innovations in pole weapons combat. The current discussion has
been very interesting, but someone (not me! busy with talents!) needs to
add it all together into an article!

My own take on it is that Pole Weapons are part of the
"Angry-Villagers-Rule". PCs aren't likely to use Pole Weapons because
they're just not glamorous enough, so a troupe of lowly 26-point guards can
use Pole Weapons to make sure PCs dont run wild. They even the odds just a
little bit because players are unlikely to remember all the quirks with the
polearm rules. So their 'realism' doesnt effect my use of them in the game.

<

Yeah, I think Steve Jackson's SCA experience had some negative effects on
certain aspects of TFT combat and Pole Weapons definitely seem to suffer.
This even carried over into the first edition of GURPS where you could
perform a "Stop Thrust" option (essentially bracing for a charge) with ANY
weapon and just about automatically grill anyone who came near you! Since
fixed, but nothing seems to have addressed the various different was they
can be used..

If I run across any other clever use of them, I'll definitely post it!

Thanks again!
Michael

====Post to the entire list by writing to tft@brainiac.com.