(TFT) monster husbandry

I certainly agree in principle. I'd just like building new monsters to be a
little more 'scientific' than "splapping-abilities-together" and printing
it... there's nothing really wrong with that for any indivudal game, but
I'd like the rules to be more 'solid' than that - and I don't see any
reason I can't have the best of both worlds!

John Paul Bakshoian wrote a really good point-build system for races
(8/20/99 - Talent Packing for Races in TFT) and I'd like to do something
like that.

TFT is such a good system that I always thought it was criminal that you
couldn't build monsters the same way you build characters.

You bring up a *very* interesting point about racial abilities however.
Should they cost the same as "normal" Talents? Should there be some kind of
'racial' bonus for them? Should there be corresponding Handicaps for racial
abilities? Or should racial abilities be "free" if the GM decides they are
"racial". A way of saying, only the GM can decide when a Talent is "innate"
rather than bought. Thought?

But

Well, I'm sure nothing I write will *stop* an FM from doing that, but for
myself - I just dont care that much, so I'd LIKE a set of rules that say,
"Hey, if you want to train a Slinker, go right ahead, here's what it eats,
here's how long it will take, and here's what Talents are needed.
Personally, I dont mind the halfings come back on siberian tigers --- as
long as the rules make it appropriate difficult and expensive enough so
that it wont unbalance my campaign.

So for me, I'd LIKE to have those rules. As a GM, I can still say "no -
that's not what I had in mind for this campaign", but I'd like the rules to
give me that option by being there!

Me too - and surprised as all heck about it!

Michael

====Post to the entire list by writing to tft@brainiac.com.