Re: [Re: (TFT) WHHHHHYYYYYYY?????]

>I'm a journalist, a job where you really meet lots of
NICE people. Role
playing allowed me to name villains after people at
work and in the office and
watch in glee while the players hacked them to pieces.
I KNOW I'M NOT ALONE IN
THIS PRACTICE. CONFESS

OK, I confess. My friends and I did this a few times,
though we faced off against a room full of our
childhood tormenters as I recall. It was the right
thing to do. It was good. La la la.

As for players crossing over from AD&D to
"role-playing," my friends and I did so. In fact one
AD&D campaign continued at one guy's house while the
TFT campaign down the road was getting up to full
speed. While those who tried both preferred TFT, we
were none of us very fussed about which system was
better. Mike ran AD&D, and we had fun. Brett ran TFT,
and we had fun. Both sessions were role-playing. In
both we were rewarded for adhering to character, and
"acting" was more highly thought of than "winning." On
a  number of occasions I recall players doing things
that hurt the party dreadfully, but were compelled to
do so by the character of their character. For
example, three wizards killed a small dragon that
arrived out of nowhere, going unconscious in the
process. Turns out that the party's newest member was
a dragon worshiper who had summoned it, but had kept
his dragon side a secret. Seeing what we had done, he
dutifully slit the three wizard's throats. No one
liked it; it almost destroyed the campaign; but he had
to play his character truthfully, and that counted
more than having a party full of veterans at full
strength ready to thump on the next challenge we
faced.

"I seem to have strayed somewhat from my original
brief; but, in a nutshell, sex is more fun than
logic."

Lastly, were many of you tormented by mothers who
asked upon your return from a day of gaming, "Did you
win?" I was.

Mark
The Tea-Room Barbarian