Re: (TFT) Converting Dungeons and Droolers...

Michael wrote:
> Your right. So what is a good logical definition of classes?

Hmmm.... what about "A set of game mechanics that pre-assumes social and
economic background and confers specific game mechanic benifits to members
of its particular set that are denied (or only allowed at increased cost)
to members of other 'classes'."

Of course, this goes back to 'definitions-that-prove-the-point. After all,
TFT classes dont fall into this category but most other classes do. TFT
classes being except because a TFT Wizard doesn't acutally have to be the
pointed-hat type of wizard that D&D wizards do.

it.

Though actually that definition lets slip the Traveller classes which I
dont think really works either. You can't GET Broadsword skill in Traveller
unless you're a Pirate! That's the kind of articial limitation I think that
makes classes insidiously bad mechanics.

If that works for  you, that's great, but if I saw that in a movie or read
that in a book I would hear the clatter of dice in the background. That
might be valid for a couple of high-faluten wizard-types for *most* of the
society of EVERY different fantasy world?

Nope. The D&D rules only work for D&D worlds...(not that they are suppossed
to do anything else, but I dont think those worlds are very fun to
role-play in --- and conversely I dont think you can be a very good
role-player if those are the only worlds you play in....)

D&D

Your right...and so does TFT, but I think the old ITL books still make
better players unmodified than any edition of D&D.....

You

But of course you can! You dont need rules for that! You just need to
roleplay it! And yes, D&D lets you do the same thing, but that's a whole
lot different than the difference between someone with Reconize Value,
Business Sense, Courtly Graces, Assess Value, Charism and Diplomacy and a
Fighter with the Merchant secondary skill! Apples to Oranges!

I've heard that too actually, I've no direct experience with any World of
Darkness games, but I presume from people that I've talked to that they
have at least brought in *some* more role-playing into it than I ever heard
of D&D bringing into the hobby. Posing *is* role-playing after all!

That's quite a stretch...again, statistics do not predict indivual behavior
- you may well have gotten different results. But that doesn't mean that
MOST people who play TFT don't role-play or that most people who play D&D
*do* role-play.

What criteria would you use to determine whether a role-playing game was
worth playing if it wasn't 1) the quality of the rules and 2) the quality
of the players?

It's about time! But unfortunately probably way too late for D&Ders...

Nope. It's the rules. Monoply AND Death Test dont' in any way try to be
role-playing games. It's *possible* with both of them, but not very likely.
The people can change the equation, but given average players, the rules
*do* encourage a certain style of play (they have to!). With Monopoly and
Death Test (and D&D) that style tends away from role-playing. My statement
is that with TFT and Star Trek and Vampire it tends more towards
role-playing.

Your attaching "Death Test" to TFT as if statements that I've made toward
the role-playing mechanics in TFT should apply equally well to Death Test.
Another nice twist, but I'm not falling for it.....

I've never claimed it STOPPED you. I only claim that because there is no
indication that these things are possible a given player (especially
beginners) are unlikely to think of it. Honestly - do you *really* think
that reading ITL with the rules on Animal Handling and Training and reading
First Edition AD&D your going to be JUST as likely to try horse training in
D&D as you are TFT?

Well there you go. The people CAN make all the difference in the world, but
I've never met D&D players that I'd want to play with. But EVERY TFT player
I've ever met has been pretty fun. Now that's not conclusive, but it IS
indicative...

'edge'.

Again, I've seen people adopt different styles for different games. The
most die-hard D&D hack-and-slasher will become a heckuva lot better
roleplayer if they start playing Star Trek or any number of other games
who's mechanics dont reward munchkinism. And the BEST roleplayer who plays
Champions will eventually learn to be munchkin -- at least in Champions
games... It's not a 'provable' theory, but I dont think its an uneducated
prejudice either....

Well, okay, but do you want to play with people that JUST NOW learning to
roleplay after YEARS of playing without benefit of those rules? And okay,
lets toss aside the quality of the players, lets just deal with the rules
themselves.

My problem is that now D&D only has *some* of those rules. I've already
graduated to games that have much more than just some of them. As long as
D&D hangs on to Classes and Levels its going to be limited. I just dont see
how it can 'evolve' without changing to another game system.... I dont
blame them for not doing that -- after all the Star Trek movies still make
money as well - but it's not something that seems worthwhile to me...

After all, was the decision to keep classes and levels made because it made
for the best game design -- or was it made as a compromise to maintain some
consistency between editions? If someone comes up with a game better design
I'll look at it even if it's called D&D - - but since that's not the case I
dont understand what interest it could have --  even if it has caught up to
1986 game design standards in 2000!

Really? How can you get a job as a Flinger or a Blob? You can't read,
you're a one-trick pony and a molotail/fireball will take either one of
them - not to mention a Freeze spell or a group of angry villagers. In D&D
you could run roughshod over peasants as a combat monster. You just can't
get that tough in TFT....

A high-level magic user in D&D is almost unstoppable by normal means
available to villagers. A high-level TFT wizard is tough, but could be
slapped around if he ticked off the wrong people...

agreed.

Hoody hoo! I hope you have fun!

Michael