(TFT) Re: Outnumbering PC's in TFT / D&D

>Also, Michael's point about powerful characters rings true. Outnumbering in
>TFT rapidly becomes a big problem, so that powerful characters can be
>overwhelmed by peons if there are enough of them.
>I remember in D&D DMing a party from 1st level way up to 11th or so and
>DMing the Giant series (G1-3) with them. Past early levels, the PCs were
>quite long lived, anyway they got into Hall Of the Fire Giant King and the
>party managed to combat about 75% of the Hall's troups at the entrance -
>giants would keep getting reinforcements and adding themselves to a
>bloodthirsty battle. The party did lose 17 assorted characters and NPCs but
>m managed to kill alot of giants, and they around 10th level or so (so not
>way tougher than the module required).
>I couldn't see how this could happen in TFT - te numbers of enemies would
>wear down even powerful characters more quickly. The main factors apear to
>be the escalating hp totals in AD&D and lack of area of effect spells, like
>a MMH fireball, in TFT (say, now there's an idea............)

Cas

	Hi Cas,

	I HATED the fact that a handful of D&D characters
could kill hundreds,  of orks, etc.  Just my taste, but when
the players KNEW they were immune to hundreds of weaker
enemies, any drama just leaked out of the situation.

	Of course in D&D you had to replace all the weaker
monsters with a whole new set every 3 levels.  Very
profitable for those selling collections of new monsters.

	I remember I was converting a group of D&Ders
to TFT way back when.  They kicked a rotting stump and
a whole bunch of wasps came out.  The party ran every
which way looking for water or mud holes to roll in.

	Eventually they all killed / got rid of their wasps.
I didn't think much of the encounter but the D&Ders were
flabbergasted.  They were NOT fighting huge monsters
and Green Dragons, etc.  They really were delighted by
the strangeness of the encounter.

	Rick