Re: (TFT) Teaching roleplaying to Power gamers

Play GURPS for a while! ;{

I dont find I need to change the rules for this to happen. I just allow the
Theif talent to do more things....

What's 'organic' about changing the rules? It seems more 'real' to me to
let them try to use the same talent to do different things. If they work
and they like it, they have a new ability that they've earned through
roleplaying and experimentation rather than just 'acquisition..'

It doesn't seem artifical to me. The other way seems more arbitrary to me.
"Your an extra Talented theif, but you can't figure out how to 'case' a
joint (for example) without learning this new Talent..."

It's doesn't 'force' teamwork, but it definitely encourages it. Roleplaying
works alot better when the players learn to rely on their imaginations to
determine what they can do than their character sheets. "I want to do
this...Opps! There's a talent for it so I guess I wont' try that..."

Besides this is the way most 'adventures' work. Each person on the team is
*good* at something. The team of 'generalists' doesn't usually happen in
action literature and movies.

Maybe it's just a difference in the way we treat Talents. To me, the
talents are just the MINIMUM that you can do. Your experience allows more
things as you go along...

Michael