Re: (TFT)

From: "Tim.Sireno" <tim.sireno@econmktg.com>
Subject: (TFT)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:39:59 -0500

>     - Grouchy
>Despite the increased cost, many more people were
>PCs than NPCs and more than once I saw some poor NPC
>surrounded by people bludgeoning them over and over.
>There was no way the NPC player could keep track of
>all that math, and they would just kind of give up
>and lay down.

	- Tim Sireno
	Yep, I've noticed that Die-hard D&D'ers seem to
also insist upon this "doing all the Math" bit in
other areas too, and it frustrates me quite often!
Especially when I try to introduce them to something
with a simple game system that avoids such bogging
down in multiple mental  calculations.
(Airing a comment - "Well It's a game, not trig 101.",
almost invaribly would p. o. that said D&D'er.)

I've not yet come up with a way to circumvent this insistance concerning number crunching - In fact,
GURPS actually made my problem worse, because the
D&D'ers I was working on - either naturally gravitated
towards GURPS (where there was alot more number
crunching) over TFT, or GURPS so turned them OFF that
they REFUSED to even discuss TFT!

Arials' son did an amazing thing. After teaching him Advanced Melee' one day we were fighting with boffer swords and he flanked me. Just like I had done to him in the first Melee' fight. In the paper fight I won initiative and made him move first. I then engaged him in a side hex and got a free attack at +2 DX. It never happened to him again, but I guess he never forgot it. In the live fight, I had never seen anything like it. He charged, ran past me on the left and the next thing I knew I was hit in back. I'm laying there dead in the grassy field, him standing over me and he says "I guess you can outflank an individual." I like doing all the math. I will play in a D&D game. But, when I'm reality testing I leave all the math at home. Out in the field I want to see how things go on their own. Too much math swallows up the initiative. If he had to strike me multiple times to kill me, he would never have even tried to flank me.

>     - Grouchy
>A friend who lives in Florida and was a member of
>the SCA for many years told me that "the SCA is
>just a support group for the emotionally disturbed".

	- Tim Sireno
	I still haven't joined the local SCA and for the
longest time even though many friends have been
pitching it for years. And when asked why, I couldn't
put my finger on the main reason why I didn't feel
like it was a good idea, and your friends comment
points it out perfectly... There *are* quite a few
people who are "a little emotionally disturbed" in the
SCA. (Not to mention snooty/snobbish in my experience.)
Thanks, Now I feel a bit better - I thought it was just
me!

I was faced with low morale among the NPCs so we started doing great death scenes. The NPCs were gathered around a picknic table as the GM gave out assignments and maps where we were position ourselves along the woodland trail. He gave us persona, hit points, and weapon damages. We were dispatched with assistant GMs while he went to Organize the PC parties. Apparently we were going to run the adventure for five different groups of PCs. As we are walking out of camp all the NPCs are telling me that all we ever get to do is die. Die, die, die. Over and over. I said, Well, if were gonna die, lets give the best death scene the have ever seen. If they hit you with a down stroke crumple to the ground, from the side then leap sideways to the ground like the hit you with a truck. Give em howls of pain. Crawl around on the ground a little holding the wound before you stop moving.
    The NPCs and I had a lot more fun than the PCs did.

>I realized that if F.L.A.G. had been formed with TFT
>players and not old school AD&D / SCA types, it
>might have stood a chance, but hit points was the
>core of their game system and it was what they were
>out there to reality test.
>
>     David Michael Grouchy II

	No wonder why I got some strange looks from
those SCA people when I mentioned I was past president
(for two years) of F. L. A. G. (Forest Lake Area
Gamers of Mn)! They must've thought I was refering to
the Federation of Live Action Gaming (F.L.A.G.) and
thought I was a loon... Sheesh!

	Perhaps the recent "paradigm shift" in the 3rd
edition of D&D will help us with our conversion
attempts for new TFT players. Though, I think the
Diehards might be a lost cause - unless anyone has any
fantastic pointers on how to convert these people over
to TFT.
(Give 'em if you have them!!!)

	- Tim Sireno
	  AKA White Wolf

Robert Flammang converted me to TFT. I said HELL NO. I JUST SPENT A HUNDRED DOLLARS BUYING ALL THIS AD&D STUFF. There is NO WAY i'm going switch to a new game system. He would have us over for an hour or two of just plain old Melee when ever he could. A few weeks later it was Wizard. A few months later AD&D didn't seem as logical anymore. By the end of the year we were asking him to run a TFT campaign.

    David Michael Grouchy II