From: <mailto:dseagraves@austin.rr.com>Dave Seagraves
To: <mailto:dseagraves@austin.rr.com>Dave Seagraves;<mailto:dseagraves@austin.rr.com>tft@brainiac.com
Sent: 1/14/2001 4:46:18 AM
Subject: Re: (TFT) the challenge of computers, and idea

David writes . . .

> People who like killing other players will get instant
>gratification. They will get nifty looking horns and spikes
>growing out of them. The more PCs they kill the more demonic
>looking they will become . . .

Great idea! Players trying to play their characters realistically would
be able to easily identify the buttheads.
Idea: Have the game track who attacks who first. If two characters fight
and one dies, the winner is now hunted and harassed by NPC law enforcement
types unless (a) it was a case of self-defense (i.e. the winner didn't
attack first), or (b) the victim tells the game somehow that it was a duel,
fair fight, or similar, and the winner shouldn't be punished. (Of course
the game should have an "arena" that characters could enter where there are
no consequences.) If the culprit is killed or caught, the NPC guardsmen (or
whatever) did their job, and the player loses his character.
Idea: Make people pay real money for every character they create, perhaps
somewhere between 5 and 20 dollars, but the first one or few are free.
Combine this with the above idea and players might use some other outlet for
their sadistic tendencies.
Idea: Each (registered) player can only have a limited number of
characters, perhaps even just one, or perhaps only one per class.
Characters which are killed/captured by the guardsmen are lost forever --
the player can /never/ play the game (or that class) again unless he buys a
new copy of the game with a new registration code.
Idea: Players who have never lost a character to the guardsmen can have
their characters themselves act as guardsmen and help the NPCs hunt down the
offending characters! If desired, guardsman PCs can look at wanted
characters and then decide how to handle taking them in (or down).

Sorry to be off topic, but I'm a veteran Diablo player and this was right
up my street. Diablo has had its share of "player killing" (an obvious
misnomer), but I actually don't mind other player's characters attacking my
characters since it occurs within the context of the game. It's the blatant
/cheating/ which I find irritating (and for which I verbally attack the
/players/ for). Any idiot can use Autokill.