Re: (TFT) PK'ing [OT]

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>

But tell me - doesn't it amount to publicly broadcasting your Alignment
to the other players?

Michael,
Yes. In fact one of the things I didn't like about Ultima Online was that PK'ers would turn red when you put your cursor over them. I realize that having Player Killers grow horns and appear more and more demonic is the same as broadcasting their alignment, but I feel it would be less odius. The PK'ers may even like it. If they do enough back stabbing and murder, they could eventually look like Diablo himself. My thoughts are that instead of trying fix this behavior with some kind of patch, to encourage it. There is obviously a huge demand for opportunity to slaughter the newbies and innocent. As much as I don't enjoy being the victim of it, I still see the need to enhance this experience for the "evil" players. Dave Seagraves, outlined some things that the game would have to do. Things like keeping track of who attacked first, or 'who started it,' so the right avatar could become more vilified. In the same sense I think gifts and charity should be kept track of. This for two reasons. To prevent the demons from helping each other, and to help those who misstep be able to recover their normal appearance. In the first case if a demon (evil player) gives anything away, even to another demon, then their appearance retrogrades. Slowly of course. In the second case, players who do nothing but equip, help, and guide the newbies, should be enhanced. Maybe even to the point of a halo, of white wings or something. Michael, I?m sure we can both agree on how appalling close to the system of alignment this is. A system which I fell hurts live role playing more than it helps it. I still think it is a better use for a games AI code. To keep track of the interaction between players, rather than to simulate intelligent behavior in NPCs. This alignment model is just a theoretical start. Ideally it would keep track of the TFT personality traits: bravery, honesty, friendliness, appearance, and mood. At least I hope. If the technology develops in that direction.

    David Michael Grouchy II