Re: (TFT) Replies to recent topics

David Michael Grouchy II wrote:

> >Anyone up for launching a demon into orbit?
> >
> >Questions for the class:  How many transits, (T), of a 1000-foot drop
bla bla bla deleted
> >master/days to produce G.  Show all work.

<big snip>

>     The answer is T=1 and G=2.

Ah, no.  T is the number of times the object has to traverse the
distance between the gates.  Since the object has a 1/216 chance of
destabilizing the gate pair as it passes, one pair will not (likely)
provide enough transits to accelerate the object to 11Km/s.

> One gate on the ground.  Flat on the ground.  When a figure steps onto it
> they fall out of a gate 1005ft up above it.  5ft above the ground is another
> horizontal gate.  The rule on this gate is that it does not activate unless
> the object is going escape velocity.  The other end of this gate is as high
> as possible and pointed up.

When the first gate pair destabilizes, the figure will continue to
accelerate _and_ be gated for one minute.  After that minute, the first
gate pair fails, and if the figure hasn't reached 11Km/s, he'll just hit
the ground at whatever speed he'd attained.  More gate pairs are needed
to attain 11Km/s.

> >Will the Gate created in orbit be geosynchronous?  Explain if not, and
> >describe.
>
>      No.  The earth will speed away from the gate at 29,750 meters a second.
>   Describe, you say?  Look at it this way.  What is easier, to travel 10 min
> back in time or 1 year.
>      One year of course.  In 10 min the earth will have moved 1785 km.  But
> in a year it will right back here.  Each gate is locked to the center of
> gravity of the object it was created on.  If a gate is created not on the
> moon, and not on the earth, but in a space between, then it is considered
> still within the sun?s atmosphere.  Just like a gate 150km off the surface
> of the earth would be.
>      The Sun?s galactic velocity is 250km a second.  This means the sun is
> moving relative to the galaxy that fast.  The galaxy us moving relative to
> the universe.  It goes on and on.  Unless a gate can ?ride? on another body,
> or in its relative atmosphere, it will be unattached, and be left behind.

I guess that would depend on where you draw the line between earth-space
and sun-space.  Anyone?  Beuller?

>      Now a question for you.  Can a gate 144,000 years old be waiting out
> there for us to orbit into it?

Yes, as defined so far.

> Do gates suffer from re-entry?

I don't think they are affected by gravity, so there'd be nothing to
make them 'fall'.