RE: Re: (TFT) Replies to recent topics

About launching into orbit:

I thought demons got infinite MA from being able to teleport, so I don't think they're frictionless.  And even so being frictionless does not mean you have zero air resistance (although it sure helps alot).

But friction and air resistance is definitely an issue here, because if you create two gates, one at sea level and one 1000 feet above it, an object falling between them will never get past terminal velocity in air and will never get anywhere near orbital velocity, no matter how many transits it makes.

Unless you have a vaccuum in between.

So here's what you do.  Get a huge metal cylinder that's one hex wide and capped at one end.  Place it upright, so that it's open at the top.  Put a gate on the top with the rule "only activate for gasses trying to enter the tube". Cast sufficient one-hex WALLs to fill the tube, displacing all the air.  When the WALLs expire, the tube is filled with vaccuum.  Now cast your gates as you normally would and proceed to launch!  You will need wizards ready to stabilize either gate during the transits.  You will also need some serious heat and impact shielding on your subject, or he will vaporize instantly when he hits sea-level atmosphere at escape velocity.  The sonic boom may level nearby buildings.

Geosynchronous or not?  Very good question.  If it were earth I think it would be, but only because I'd draw the line differently from David for where a magically 'fixed' object becomes locked to the sun's position rather than the earth's.  So whatever.

Of course we're talking about Cidri here, an artificial construct, so who knows if it's even rotating to get its days and nights, let alone revolving around a star.   Hell, who knows if it even gets its gravity from its mass?  Either it's hollow or they're tampering with the gravity somehow.