(TFT) TFT: Net & Trident

Brett writes . . .

>Well, I think Trident is really just a special spear. So, I'd have Net
>be a separate skill, with Polearm covering Trident. I think the aspects
>of fighting with net and trident don't warrant a special "Net and
>Trident" skill. I don't see why you couldn't fight with net and sword,
>or net and cudgel. I think the only reason they are combined is because
>net and trident was a classic gladiator combo.

   I agree totally.

Neil writes . . .

>It's also durned hard to draw a weapon when someones swinging at you
>(usually, you get smacked).

   Good point.  Perhaps we might try zero-time ready maneuvers when
unengaged, but it takes a turn if engaged.

Michael writes . . .

>Sounds like a good new spell!

   What about Long-Distance Teleportation?  Does that qualify, or would this
theoretical spell have a material component (like an orb)?

>That doesnt bother me so much. I like the work you've done but the
>problem is that the two most important ones (-1/Mh and -1/hex) are
>easier to remember than a table...

   To each their own, I guess.  8^)

David writes . . .

>Self powered 10 point battery:  cost $500,000, time 200 weeks
>
>Of course for the same time and money one could get a regular
>strength battery of 100 points.

   David, I don't follow your math.  If a 1-point ST Battery costs $1000,
then a 1-point self-powered ST battery would cost ten times as much, or
$10,000.  That makes a 10-point self-powered battery ten times /that/, or
$100,000, not $500,000.  Does that sound right?
   By the way, what does self-powering do for a ST battery anyway?  Does a
1-point sf battery allow you to throw 1-die lightning bolts all day long
because that one ST point instantly recharges?  That would seem to be the
by-the-book mechanic, but it also seems too powerful.
   How about this: A ST battery will recharge itself by one point overnight
(or at midnight, or whatever) for every point of the battery that is made
self-powered.  If desired just a portion of the battery can be made
self-powered.
   So a 20-point battery with one of the points self-powered will eventually
recharge itself, all by itself.

>I have often wondered if the Boomerang damage wasn't a Typo.
>What if it was supposed to be 1+2, and only the "2" made it
>to press.

   I'm sure Steve intended it to be 2 dice.  I'll bet he looked at the light
crossbow (ST 12/same damage) and used that for comparison.

Justin writes . . .

>Subject sez enough.  From the very beginning I always thought the
>boomerang just did too much damage for what it was.  I mentioned
>earlier I believed SJ was a closet aboriginal Aussie but I have
>seen his photo.

   I noticed the problem when the "Flinger & Blob" article appeared in Space
Gamer.  I'll try out my idea and see how she flies.
   I've met Steve once or twice.  Seems like a nice guy.  I noticed his
personality on paper and in person were somewhat different in some
hard-to-define way.

   About the gates topic: You guys have /way/ too much time on your hands.
8^)

Pfc. Dave Seagraves   101st Airborne Division
Texas Military Historical Society (WWII reenactors)
Sniper squad forming to defeat the krauts -- join us!
1 (512) 835-7527   http://members.aol.com/txmhs