Re: (TFT) Re: Melting points of caldrons

> Copper melts at 1084 C
> Iron melts at 1538  C
> Lead melts at 327.5 C
> Gold melts at 1064 C
> Silver melts at 962 C
> Platinum melts at 1768.5 C
> Mercury melts at -39 C
> Tin melts at 232 C
>
> ( I think this includes all of the metals known
> by the ancients.  Am I missing any? )

Neil mentioned Zinc and Tin.  Aluminum has come up in recent
posts, so I'll include it as well.

Zinc melts at 419 C
Tin melts at 232 C
Aluminum melts at 650 C

> Brass and Bronze have higher melting points
> than copper but my book does not list those alloy's melting
> points.  Does anyone know what they are?

The CRC mentions only one alloy each of Brass and Bronze.
It does not give the percentages of the metals that make up
the alloy.  I'll include the classifications (? - these aren't
explained) just in case someone wants to compare.  These
are listed as "typical" properties.

Yellow Brass (ASTM B36, B134, B135) melts at 932 C
Aluminum Bronze (ASTM B169, alloy A;  ASTM B124, B150) melts at 1038 C

Matt