Re: (TFT) riddles

Well, here are some of the answers to the riddles I made up.

From: "John Paul Bakshoian" <hailmelee@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: (TFT) riddles
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 17:24:59 -0700

Here is a concept I came up with as I was writing this. Your group is celebrating its victory of the moment at Wong's Ceremonial House. *SNIP* ...Yosef's mouth comes "It is written that the time will come when those few who have no immediate needs will help those with great need because they know of the danger and the needy do not."

This is just a statement that the players will know some things that may make them want to help the needy.

Oliander is given the Fortuna Secundus as she held at bay (with only
chacolati and nerves of steel) 40 street urchins,   *SNIP*

"Original armor for a mushy mass,
it served its owner well...
Becomes a cup for evil mass,
to serve the Fires of Hell.
And when did all the come to pass?
When original owner fell.
Time strips the cover from shield, alas,
and reveals a holey bell."

Answer: a Skull. (The hero died in battle, the flesh fell away from the bone that protected the brain. The skull is sort of bell shaped with holes in it. Eventually, the evil priests used the skull for a cup to hold the unholey blood.)

Valter the Jaded is assigned the Triad Fortuna because his glorious oration at the steps of the courthouse *SNIP*

"I am symbolic of life,
for one grows when I am used.
But I am a mystery to most, for they do not understand me.
Most know me by my winglike shell,
 which houses each leaf that gives me substance.
I am different than my spineless cousins,
 who must roll around like snakes.
I have been told that I am ageless and when I
 reproduce in great numbers, generations are
 affected by my humor, horror, dullness, profoundness.
Yet for all my ability to affect others, simple things affect me:
The four elements are my enemies in various ways.
Fire and water are obvious, but earth will eventually break me
and air can send my leaves flying."

Answer: A Book (One who is booklearned is said to grow in understanding of things, except to those who can't read. The Cover looks winglike if you hold book upside down. The pages are often called leaves. A scroll is the spineless cousin to books. A book is ageless in that its contents can echo through the generations if mass produced. Books can rot or grow brittle, bindings break.

Nachos the sneak, who did all the work and was not honored as numero uno,
grumpily is next.   *SNIP*

"I house the killer from your eyes
and give him sanctuary in moments of peace.
We are tight, my killer and I,
Like a wolf in the fold of lambskin fleece."

Answer: A scabbard (Scabbards can be metal, leather or lambskin. It protects the killing sword.)

And now in honor of our glorious leader, ThunderThighs takes the wrap up position, Fortuna Ultima. *SNIP*

"I help to balance that which swings,
whether dull of style or one that sings.
A tool thats used to eviscerate,
is countered by all my weight."

Answer: The pummel of a sword. (A dull sword or a singing sword still needs a counterweight.)

I came across a great sourcebook called Riddle Rooms #1 Dungeon Dilemnas for Cloud Kindgom Games 1992. It has about 15 riddles set up as room encounters. Here is one of them:

"Provider, devourer,
a double-edged blade,
Man he has tamed her,
accepting this trade.

Ravenously hungry,
must all the time feed,
Yet drink she must not,
this can kill her indeed."

Cass, you are right. It is fire. And as I said I didn't write the above riddle, it was from the above named book.

Hail Melee,
John Paul