(TFT) Re: Gurps as in Burps

Well, from my fencing days, I know that a parry and an attack take less
than
one second. Throwing in a block and a dodge is perhaps a bit much.
Also, if you watch Kendo, they can get 2-3 attacks/defenses in one second.
Jackie Chan has to slow his movements and attacks down so the camera
can follow it.

I don't think the one-second turns in GURPS are any less realistic than the

single attack in 5 seconds that TFT has. That is just way too much time.
<

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I was fencer also and your telling me that
you could parry and attack CONTINUOUSLY every second of every round in the
match? No breathing, no pauses? Just like GURPS?

Of course, not every attack in real life takes *exactly* the same amount of
time, but GURPS combat is NEVER as simple as fencing attacks.

There are ALWAYS multiple attacks (all-out-attacks), multiple parries and
dodges and moving at least one yard.

Not to pick nits, but 5 seconds is a LOT more realistic than 1 second
CONTINUOUSLY...

In GURPS Martial Arts they even mention, that "by the way, you can't really
play a 30-second round between martial artistis because it would take too
long to play and in a real tournament the combatants pause...."

Michael