Re: (TFT) Skill, knowledge, tricks and talents

> I think you are absolutely right. I've always thought of TFT Talents are
> "packages" that included not only the indivudal "knowledge" (what other
> games call 'skills') but also the entire "history" and "bagage" that goes
> along with it.
>
> For example, a Theif not only has the ability to try picking locks and
> pockets. But forgery, fencing, making wax impressions of keys etc.
>
> He also knows people, the guildmaster, rival theifs. Thugs, members of the
> assassins guid and 'area knowledge' of the back allies where he hangs out.
>
> He also has lockpicks, a dagger in his boot and 'faceblack' to camoflage
> themselves at night.
>
> In fact, a PC with the Theif talent has everthing appropriate to the
> background story they create!

While I agree with most of your last post, I have to disagree just a touch
with this line of reasoning. Sure, your character could have this background
story, and the Thief talent, but they sure don't have to.

How about a character who takes the Thief talent, not because they're a
criminal, but because they're a stage magician (this has happened, you
know)? Yes, they can pick a pocket and a lock, but don't have the
underground knowledge. Instead, they have more knowledge about creating
(non-magical) illusions, putting on a stage show, etc. than your
garden-variety thief would. They'd probably have some other Talents to help
their story along.

That is one of the things that I like about TFT. That is that I don't think
that their are specific bits of baggage or history that MUST go with the
knowledge. If it's reasonable (and sometimes unreasonable) for a character
to have some talent, then they have the talent.

I'm just trying to point out that there are many ways in which a character
may have some particular skill.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com