Re: (TFT) Crippling Hits

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>
So is the Crippling Hit chance of "6" a mistake? Or does it mean
that IF you hit on a roll of 6, you still do normal damage, but
have a chance of a Crippling Hit. This makes sense because it
would be the only way that you could do low damge, but still
'break someones arm' for example.

From: David Michael Grouchy II

Michael,
    Yes.

From: Michael Taylor <MichaelTaylor1@compuserve.com>

LOL! "Yes" what?

[  ] Misprint. Crippling Hits only happen on to-hit rolls of 3-5
[ ] Intentional. Crippling Hits happen on to-hit rolls of 3-5 AND >rolls of 6 if they hit

Michael,
I thought you might enjoy that. My dad used to do that to me when I asked a question containing two answers. I've learned to develope a sense of humor about it. To elucidate... Crippling hits are an optional rule (we all know that) and result in a specific limb being hit. I find them bloody and, well, crippling. I use them all the time. Here is the table for those away form their material.

  2 through 7:  No cripling hit
  8: Target looses use of right leg.
  9: Target looses use of left leg.
  10: Target looses use of weapon arm.
  11: Target looses use of shield arm.
12: Target looses use of is hit in head, his ST is reduced to 1 and he falls unconcious.

Now, if you roll a 4 that results in a crippling hit with double damage! Talk about murder and short lived characters. But consider this; it says a hit to the head reduces ST to 1 and the character is ONLY unconcious. Using that as a precedence, I play that only the limb is crippled, and the character is not killed. While killer on the surface it can actually prolong a character's life. And lead to things like prisoners. In further support of this view here is another section of the CRIPPLING HITS - AN OPTIONAL RULE.

"If a crippling hit is scored on a limb and the hit does 8 or more points of damage, the figure will lose that limb permently."

  And further...

"A limb wich has been truly lost (either by a cripplin of 8 or more points, or because it was removed in some other way, such as a foe hacking it off while the victim was helpless) can be regained only by a wish. A wish used to heal a figure will restore all lost limbs, etc."

  So, yes on point 2.

[ ] Intentional. Crippling Hits happen on to-hit rolls of 3-5 AND >rolls of 6 if they hit

I have a player who developed another method than the wish to restore a lost limb. It requires a high IQ wizard, and the victim has to give up a permenant point of ST, but it has become quite popular in our group. He uses the shapeshifting spell to grow an restored limb, or missing hand. Even an eye. The only draw back is when someone casts remove thrown spells on the person and suddenly their hand is gone again. At least they got their point of ST back.

  David Michael Grouchy II