From: tft-owner@brainiac.com [mailto:tft-owner@brainiac.com]On Behalf Of
Neil Gilmore
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 9:22 AM
To: tft@brainiac.com
Subject: Re: (TFT) Facing change after movement

> >Each figure faces one side of his hex,as shown by the direction the
> >counter is turned. A player may change the facing of a figure
> >whenever it MOVES, and may always change its facing at the end of
> >its movement turn, even if it stayed in the same hex.
> >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Todd,
>    Well I'm floored.  It seems like I knew this.  At one time or another.
> Thanks for pointing it out.

Quite so. In a nutshell, about the only way to get a side or rear attack is
to have them move first, and for them to not quite engage you. Then you run
around, and attack. With intelligent characters, this isn't very often, and
when it does happen, it's because they made a mistake. Now, think of
less-intelligent creatures. A wild boar may charge at you, and sometimes
you'll get a side or rear attack. Not every time, but sometimes. Just
happenstance according to the hex map.

Allowing twisting makes it even more difficult. Sure, in reality, you can
turn quicker than they can run. But reaility runs continuously and not in
phases.

Also, I'm pretty sure that shifting from an opponent's front hex to their
side hex is permitted, but I don't have my references here to check. In any
case, I've always allowed it. It would seem that without it, there's little
maneuvering.

Neil Gilmore
raito@raito.com