(TFT) Re: Random thoughts on rpg combat systems.

Ty writes . . .

>Do you roll a separate defense roll for each enemy attacker?

   Yes.  But to be precise a defense roll is made for every attack,
not necessarily for each attacker.

>And as I understand it, defense rolls are however many dice the
>attacker rolls +2 dice.

   That's correct.

>Interesting. I still detest separate defense rolls, but I might
>be tempted to try your system.

   If you do let me know how it goes.  From a textural view I think
the system works well because the number rolled against -- your own
adjDX -- hardly ever changes . . .  no modifiers to worry about; just
roll the right number of dice and compare to your adjDX.
   Now that I think of it, GURPS defense rolls are more complicated
with at least two decisions made by the defender.  "What kind of
defense do I use (usually each with its own different number)?"  "Do I
have any parries/blocks left?"  Etcetera.
   For these TFT defense rolls there's no decision making so it plays
very quickly.  Running both sides I played out a battle with 18
participants with little to no increase in real play time and GM
workload.  In a face-to-face session this would be well worth the
"Yeah!" reactions of players who make their defense rolls.

Lt. Dave Seagraves   zilchATaustin.rr.com
Combat Physician, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, TMHS